Value City Furniture - Leather recliner sectional peeling......leather alomst gone!

First, let me start off by adding that we owned a leather couch for almost 8 years prior to this new purchase.We decided to upgrade to a recliner sectional with chaise and went to both Art Van and Value City.

After reviewing both sectionals, we decided to go with Value City because the couch SEEMED to be of same quality, but at a SLIGHTLY better price. The sales man said the sectional was an excellent selection, great material, and a popular seller. We declined the warrenty after many questions because we were lead to believe that the leather was a sturdy material and any problems, "IF ANY", would be structural wear and tear. Well, fast forward to almost 3 years later, and the structure has fallen apart in one seat, the stitching is coming apart on the V connecting seat, and the leather is almost completely gone on the lower back of one seat.

I even bought the *** furniture cleaner, which did nothing to preserve the leather. This place is a sham. They sell nice looking furniture....but most of it is POOR quality. They urge you to get their warrenty, but it doesn't matter anyway, because trying to get them to replace of fix anything is a JOKE!

I bought a bed from them a while ago and it came defective. The guys couldn't even install it and had to come back, but that is a whole other story.

The sad part is I have a friend who worked in the Westland, MI store and she told me to stay away.Moral of this story...You get what you pay for (cheap), and with Value City Furniture you may not even get that!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 13 Yes 13 1 No 1
Had the same issue 7 Yes 7
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 20 #1201461 Delta, Ohio

I did buy the extended warranty and of course needed repairs on the wood under the cushion of the couch and the mechanism on the footstool went out. It took them 4 months to get the part !!! By that time the warranty had expired. They did replace the mechanism but I swear on all I know to be holy that I will NEVER buy anything from them again.

Jun 08, 2015 #992678 Spring, Texas

Same thing happened to me, but different company, a very well known company that does great philanthropical things in this town. I specifically asked if this leather furniture was 100% real leather. I was told by the salesman, YES. A couple of years later it's obvious it's bonded (never heard that term til now, thanks) and also I looked at the skirt of the sofa, definitely bonded. My fault for not checking it out for myself, in the store, before dropping big $$ on sofa/loveseat. I've learned my lesson!

2 0 Reply

Mar 14, 2015 #958236 Rockville Centre, New York

I hate to this person, but whatever material the sofa is made of, it was definitely NOT genuine leather. Pleather maybe, but not real leather. Leather doesn't "wear off". Leather will over time dry out if not properly cared for, and then "crack"...but it doesn't wear away.
Three years of daily wear and tear of a "inexpensive" leather-like sofa seems reasonable.
Consumers really need to educate themselves before spending hard earned money to know what they are actually "buying" and what the warranty covers...typically only one year.

Feb 24, 2015 #950215 Urbana, Illinois

Is anything being done about this? I have the same couch and it is peeling everywhere.
And to the people mentioning buying cheap or damaging furniture, there are plenty of bonded leather materials being manufactured that do not peel like this, this one is clearly a defect. And this is not damage, the couch literally peels in areas that aren't even touched.

Feb 27, 2015 #951540 Birmingham, Alabama

Try to find a leather repair kit and have a go at it yourself. Look on youtube for videos showing how to do it.

Feb 27, 2015 #951587 Royal Oak, Michigan

Sorry, but nothing has been done. The only thing they offered was to help pick out another couch, but not as an exchange. I wouldn't even trust them to resolve this mistake seeing as though I was lied to about this couch being 100% genuine leather in the first place. I would have never purchased that couch if I had been told the truth! Especially when I specifically asked about genuine leather. Furthermore, I had a company out to try to reupholster the couch and found that it was not even bonded leather! It is all synthetic fabric!

Jan 23, 2015 #935289 Birmingham, Alabama

I am going to guess that everyone who is upset, bought the BONDED LEATHER furniture. If you want quality LEATHER furniture, bonded leather is not it. I always stick to fabric, unless I can afford the thousands of dollars and can go to a top quality furniture store for real top quality leather.
If any of you have books bound in bonded leather, like a Bible, or something, and you read and handle it a lot, see how the leather begins to rub off, much like these pictures of this low quality furniture. The leather is a very thin sheet of leather placed over some fabric, and "bonded" to it.
Remember that the next time you go furniture shopping and fall in love with some gorgeous leather sofa.

Feb 27, 2015 #951585 Royal Oak, Michigan

You are totally right, but one of the problems was that I was told by the sales person that this couch was 100% genuine leather (Not bonded leather). Also, I paid close to $4,000.00 for this couch, so it was not "cheap". It was just a little cheaper than the supposedly exact same couch at Art Van.

2 0 Reply

Dec 23, 2013 #762973 Vienna, Virginia

I say class action lawsuit! BOYCOTT! Call news stations, put them on blast! Everyone watches TV, the work will spread! Seriously!

Jul 06, 2013 #675655 Miami, Florida

This a a "DEFECT" by the manufacturer.

It is not covered under any warranty they sell.

I purchased a 6 sofa suite and the same thing has started happening to me.

Total fraud.

VCF/Ashley feel free to contact me as I intent to take you to court with affidavits from tanners and leather repair companies accompanied by forum printouts like this and Ripoff Report print outs with the same issue.

Apr 23, 2013 #641024 Stamford, Connecticut

These people amaze me. They damage their furniture, either intentionally or by accident, and expect the retailer to repair it when no warranty was purchased. Do they think that everything in their home should be fixed as well if it breaks? Furniture, like most things are covered by a manufacturing warranty. This coverage takes care of issues such as defects and not damages caused by the owner. The photos look horrible but why would they wait until it got that bad before contacting the retailer? He mentions that they offered to sell him a warranty but refused and is suprised that they will not repair it. Then he states that they would not have fixed it even if it was covered. Thats a pretty illogical assumption. Its the equivilant of saying that you replaced a tire on your car but forgot to attach the bolts and then complaining that the wheel would have fallen off either way. Remind me to complain to Best Buy when I scratch my DVDs. Customers like this are the reason why people hate working in retail. Everyone is special and entitled now.

2 5 Reply

May 02, 2013 #644913 Livonia, Michigan

Actually, I contacted the dealer as soon as it started, and was told there was nothing they could do (which had nothing to do with the warrenty). I explained that I bought their furniture solution to clean the couch so no other chemicals were used on it. I was told that the warrenty only covers the actual hardware (nuts, bolts, springs etc.) and that is why I ASSUMED (as you say) they would not fix it anyway seeing as though my problem at the time was with the fabric. The structural damage came later. I guess you missed the part about me owning other furniture from this company. That is how I knew about the warrenty and what it covers in the first place before I even purchased this couch. I am not a consumer who just wants something for free, nor do I expect the manufacturer to be responsible for customers' error, but this wasn't my error. This was faulty craftsmanship and material. If I had bought a suede couch (which commonly discolors and thins out) and this happened I wouldn't even be on this site, but this is leather. By the way, I was told by another company I had to come out about possibly reupholstering the couch, that there is no reason why the leather couch should be peeling in such new condition (It would cost me about the same price to reupholster the couch versus buying a new one). As a consumer, I expect that when I purchase merchandise, that I am getting exactly what I am paying for (this wasn't a $600 couch). I was told by a sales person that the couch was... Show more

3 0 Reply

May 11 #1157263

This is a manufacturing defect. Therefore there should be a recall. However, since this crappy furniture is made overseas, the consumers in the U.S. have limited or no recourse.
I too bought what I was told was a real leather couch & love seat. At that time I had never even heard of "bonded leather"! I have the same "peeling" problem with both pieces.
I don't feel "entitled" to anything but honest and fair treatment of the consumers.
Is that too much to ask?

Value City Furniture

Apr 15, 2013 #637798 Columbus, Ohio

We are so sorry to hear about your sofa! Let's see what we can do to help. Can you please contact us and provide some more information? Our corporate customer service team can be reached at 1-888-751-8552. You can also send an email containing your contact info to We're here to help!

0 2 Reply

Nov 30, 2014 #908186 Monroe, Louisiana

The material used on this furniture is a joke! Quality upholstery material is as lot thicker than the thin vinyl used on this cheap furniture!

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Value City Furniture. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Value City Furniture.
Filing a new complaint about