4.6K views 19 comments

First, let me start off by adding that we owned a leather couch for almost 8 years prior to this new purchase.We decided to upgrade to a recliner sectional with chaise and went to both Art Van and Value City.

After reviewing both sectionals, we decided to go with Value City because the couch SEEMED to be of same quality, but at a SLIGHTLY better price. The sales man said the sectional was an excellent selection, great material, and a popular seller. We declined the warrenty after many questions because we were lead to believe that the leather was a sturdy material and any problems, "IF ANY", would be structural wear and tear. Well, fast forward to almost 3 years later, and the structure has fallen apart in one seat, the stitching is coming apart on the V connecting seat, and the leather is almost completely gone on the lower back of one seat.

I even bought the *** furniture cleaner, which did nothing to preserve the leather. This place is a sham. They sell nice looking furniture....but most of it is POOR quality. They urge you to get their warrenty, but it doesn't matter anyway, because trying to get them to replace of fix anything is a JOKE!

I bought a bed from them a while ago and it came defective. The guys couldn't even install it and had to come back, but that is a whole other story.

The sad part is I have a friend who worked in the Westland, MI store and she told me to stay away.Moral of this story...You get what you pay for (cheap), and with Value City Furniture you may not even get that!

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $2799
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Value City Furniture?

Comments

Delta, Ohio, United States #1201461

I did buy the extended warranty and of course needed repairs on the wood under the cushion of the couch and the mechanism on the footstool went out.It took them 4 months to get the part !!!

By that time the warranty had expired.They did replace the mechanism but I swear on all I know to be holy that I will NEVER buy anything from them again.

etyaekle

Who was the manufacturer?

Spring, Texas, United States #992678

Same thing happened to me, but different company, a very well known company that does great philanthropical things in this town.I specifically asked if this leather furniture was 100% real leather.

I was told by the salesman, YES. A couple of years later it's obvious it's bonded (never heard that term til now, thanks) and also I looked at the skirt of the sofa, definitely bonded.

My fault for not checking it out for myself, in the store, before dropping big $$ on sofa/loveseat.I've learned my lesson!

BooKnew
Rockville Centre, New York, United States #958236

I hate to this person, but whatever material the sofa is made of, it was definitely NOT genuine leather.Pleather maybe, but not real leather.

Leather doesn't "wear off".

Leather will over time dry out if not properly cared for, and then "crack"...but it doesn't wear away.

Three years of daily wear and tear of a "inexpensive" leather-like sofa seems reasonable.

Consumers really need to educate themselves before spending hard earned money to know what they are actually "buying" and what the warranty covers...typically only one year.

Urbana, Illinois, United States #950215

Is anything being done about this?I have the same couch and it is peeling everywhere.

And to the people mentioning buying cheap or damaging furniture, there are plenty of bonded leather materials being manufactured that do not peel like this, this one is clearly a defect.And this is not damage, the couch literally peels in areas that aren't even touched.

lee
to Anonymous Birmingham, Alabama, United States #951540

Try to find a leather repair kit and have a go at it yourself. Look on youtube for videos showing how to do it.

to lee Royal Oak, Michigan, United States #951588

Kits won't work, it's not even bonded leather

to Anonymous Royal Oak, Michigan, United States #951587

Sorry, but nothing has been done.The only thing they offered was to help pick out another couch, but not as an exchange.

I wouldn't even trust them to resolve this mistake seeing as though I was lied to about this couch being 100% genuine leather in the first place. I would have never purchased that couch if I had been told the truth! Especially when I specifically asked about genuine leather.

Furthermore, I had a company out to try to reupholster the couch and found that it was not even bonded leather!It is all synthetic fabric!

carole
Birmingham, Alabama, United States #935289

I am going to guess that everyone who is upset, bought the BONDED LEATHER furniture.If you want quality LEATHER furniture, bonded leather is not it.

I always stick to fabric, unless I can afford the thousands of dollars and can go to a top quality furniture store for real top quality leather.

If any of you have books bound in bonded leather, like a Bible, or something, and you read and handle it a lot, see how the leather begins to rub off, much like these pictures of this low quality furniture.

The leather is a very thin sheet of leather placed over some fabric, and "bonded" to it.

Remember that the next time you go furniture shopping and fall in love with some gorgeous leather sofa.

to carole Royal Oak, Michigan, United States #951585

You are totally right, but one of the problems was that I was told by the sales person that this couch was 100% genuine leather (Not bonded leather). Also, I paid close to $4,000.00 for this couch, so it was not "cheap". It was just a little cheaper than the supposedly exact same couch at Art Van.