Nikiski,Alaska

I was so excited about finally getting my furnture from the Value City Furniture store in Burbank Illinois. I had a good experience with my salesman, & I am on a limited income, & this was the only store that allowed me to pay monthly on the furniture until I was able to pay it off in full & have it delivered. As long as I paid every month, they extended the 90 days rule for me. All was going well.

After reviewing many complaints on the extended warranties, I didn't purchase either. I came to the conclusion it was a waste of money, as the warranties are not ever honored by the company. The company takes a lot of money to charge for a service the customer does not ever receive. There should be a class action lawsuit for this. I'll buy the scotch guard & do it mself.

My furniture was delivered, in good condition, not a scratch on the cocktail tables, the sectional looked good, I was happy. That was 2 days ago.

Immediately after the deliverymen left, I noticed a horrible noxious oder coming out of the sectional. It's like a formadelhyde or some kind of chemical oder, I can't quite place it. Strong, stomach churning, sinus penetrating fumes. It's literally hurting my sinus cavity when I breathe. It's giving me a headache, making my eyes water, making me feel nauseous, & dizzy. It's making me feel sick to my stomach. I don't have any allergies & I'm not coming down with a virus or anything.

It's October in Chicago, 45 degrees outside, & I opened up the windows hoping that would help. So far, no sucess. At first I thought this is the way new furniture smells. I've never bought new before. I bought my last couch used from the next door neighbor, & I hated the smell. I sprayed Febreeze on it several times & it took the oders away, but they were food oders, the same smell that comes out of their house when they cook. This is different, dangerous to my health, it seems. I can't return it, I can't afford to buy from another company, & we need a couch. I don't know if this smell is going to go away. Has anyone else had this experience? What is this oder? Is it the glue they used to make the sectional? Is it coming out of the fabric? Is this the way new furniture is supposed to smell? Does this go away? I'm so upset & disappointed over this.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Oct 07, 2012.

Comments

This is a follow up to the sectional, over time the the odor became less noticable. It took a couple of weeks, but now I don't smell it at all anymore.

I'm not having any more ill effects from it. Maybe it was the glue, I don't know. I sprayed the strongest Fabreeze available on it a few times, & opened the windows & that seemed to help. My children never smelled anything, nor were they affected by it.

I have a very good sense of smell, so maybe I was more sensitive to it.

I'm happy with the sectional now & I haven't had any other problems with it. I hope it lasts a long time & I don't have any other problems.

to RavenHair #596919

If this were my furniture it would go back and I'd be refunded. There could be a dead rodent or who knows what inside that furniture.

A new piece of furniture smells beautiful and not harmful to your health. I'd call the better business bureau and threaten them with doctor bills!

Would the owner of Value City put up with this smell in his house. I would tell the store you will bring on legal action!

I'm so sorry you're having these problems with your sectional. We want your first new furniture buying experience to be great.

Our furniture is not supposed to have a strong odor the way you are describing but I do want to look into this further and do the best I can for you.

Please e-mail me at vcf.facebookfans@vcf.com with your contact information and this same description so we can do our best to resolve this for you. Thanks.